East Bengal, Bagan likely to attend stakeholders meeting

first_imgKolkata, May 31 (PTI) Less than a week after threatening to disrupt the Indian Super League (ISL), East Bengal and Mohun Bagan today budged from their stance as drama prevailed over the Big Twos induction into the lucrative franchise tournament. In a volte-face, East Bengal have now confirmed their participation in the stakeholders meeting at AFC headquarters to discuss Indian footballs roadmap. Mohun Bagan are expected to follow suit after another round of joint meeting at Netaji Indoor Stadium with state body Indian Football Association and West Bengal sports minister Aroop Biswas. Maintaining their demand to waive franchise fee and seeking fund from central pool, the two rival clubs on May 27 had echoed “no Mohun Bagan, East Bengal no ISL”, and had threatened to boycott the June 7 meeting if AIFF did not respond. But two days after IFA shot off a letter to the AIFF, the two rival clubs have mysteriously started to toe the line. Blaming the media, East Bengal general secretary Kalyan Majumdar in a stunning volte-face said: “We never said East Bengal would not attend the meeting. We have an invitation and we are definitely going.” His Mohun Bagan counter part Anjan Mitra, known for his softspoken and amiable quality, however, chose to be guarded. “We will have a meeting with East Bengal, IFA and sports minister and then will decide,” Mitra said. PTI TAP ATK ATKlast_img read more

Read more

Dont repeat mistakes of 1965 and 1971 Defence Minister warns Pak

first_imgPatna: Warning Pakistan to not repeat the “mistakes of 1965 and 1971”, Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Sunday said the neighbouring country can get dismantled into various parts on account of flagrant human rights violations against Balochs and Pashtuns on its soil.Article 370 was like a “canker” that bled Jammu and Kashmir, Singh said, asserting that a majority of population in the erstwhile state supported its abrogation. Addressing a “Jan Jagran Sabha” (public awareness meet) organised by the BJP here, where leaders spoke on the Narendra Modi government’s move to strip J&K of the special status, Singh said his party has lived up to its promises. “As a nationalist party, the BJP never softened its stand on the issue. Article 370 was like a canker (nasoor) which left J&K bleeding. We have now demonstrated that we are an honest and credible party which fulfils its promises,” Singh said, evoking applause from the crowd. He blamed Article 370, and Article 35A, which arose out of it, for the state being in the throes of terrorism. “J&K will now be transformed within five years. In fact, more than three-fourths of its population wanted this provision to go. Our intentions were good and it is no surprise that our move was supported wholeheartedly by our alliance partners,” Singh said. Cautioning the neighbouring country against promoting cross-border terrorism, in the wake of the recent developments in Kashmir, he said, “Talks with Pakistan will henceforth resume only after it stops promoting terrorism. And it must also keep in mind that J&K is an integral part of India. All discussions will only take place about Pak-occupied Kashmir.” The abolition of Article 370 had been one of the key promises made by the BJP in its election manifestos. It was accomplished earlier this year by a presidential order and the ruling party at the Centre managed to secure a parliamentary nod for bifurcation of the state into Union territories with the help of its coalition partners. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s JD(U), however, emerged as the lone dissenting voice from within the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance as it staged a walkout in both the Houses of Parliament after expressing his disapproval over the Modi government’s move. The defence minister also warned Pakistan against “repeating mistakes of 1965 and 1971”, referring to the two wars fought and won against the neighbouring country, and claimed that it ran the risk of getting “dismantled” on account of flagrant violation of human rights. “We do not need to do anything against Pakistan. It will get dismantled because of the very path it has chosen. The country will be devoured by flagrant violation of human rights and flourishing terrorism on its soil,” Singh remarked grimly, without elaborating further. He rubbished the “one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter” theory, often used by the neighbouring country to justify militancy in Kashmir.last_img read more

Read more

Single emergency helpline no112 launched in capital

first_imgNew Delhi: Delhi Police on Wednesday launched the single emergency helpline number ‘112’ for immediate assistance.The citizens of Delhi can avail the facility of three emergency services (police, fire services, and ambulance) by dialing a single number. Minister of State for Home Affairs (GOI), G Kishan Reddy inaugurated Emergency Response Support System (ERSS-112) and launched “Prakhar” (street crime patrol van). According to police in this new system, the call simultaneously passes to the police control room as well as to at-least nearby five persons through a mobile application which are volunteers to help the people in need. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesPolice said that in case of emergency, a person can dial 112 from phone or pressing power button thrice on smartphone quickly to activate a panic call to Emergency Response Centre (ERC). This call immediately passes to the control room for providing immediate police assistance to the distress caller. The distress calls can also be made through social media, e-mail, SMS. Minister of State (Home) also flagged off “Prakhar” vans fleet for patrolling at 15 crime hot spot locations. Delhi Police inducted 15 Scorpios with modern devices for extensive patrolling in street crime-prone areas of Delhi. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarCommissioner of Delhi Police Amulya Patnaik underlined that ERSS-112 is a flagship project of MHA and it will expand the grievance redressal system of police and other civic agencies. “It will prove to be a big step in the long run,” said Police Chief. The top cop further said that over the years, Delhi Police has taken several steps such as identifying vulnerable spots, enhanced visibility, anti-snatching squads, all-women patrolling and YUVA scheme resulting in the decline of over 20 percent in street crime like snatching and robberies. Prakhar street crime control patrol was conceptualized under ‘Safe City Project’ to curb street crime. MoS said the Ministry has given utmost priority for modernization of police force with zero tolerance towards crime and terrorism. The strength of Prakhar vans will augment in due course with a target of 100 such vans for the city. He also lauded the efforts of Delhi Police in curbing street crime and hoped these initiatives will make the city safer for citizens.last_img read more

Read more